Friday, July 29, 2016

Grilled Shrimp Louie – Dressing Up a Classic

I don’t do a lot of salad dressing videos, since it’s pretty much just adding things to a bowl, but when that dressing is going on a grilled shrimp Louie, I’ll make an exception. By the way, this is usually done with crab, but I think the smoky, grilled shrimp are a great summertime twist.

This is my take on a classic Louie dressing, and as with all such recipes, you’ll need to taste and adjust for acid, salt, and heat. Just be sure to wait until the dressing is nice and cold before tasting. You’ll get a more accurate reading, since that’s the temperature we’re going to be serving at.

If you do grill the shrimp, don’t toss it with the oil and lemon until right before you grill. This isn’t a marinade, and we don’t want the shrimp to start “cooking” in the acid. I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 1 3/4 cups:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup crème fraiche
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 packed teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley

For the grilled shrimp:
2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt

10 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Delicious! Making this today!

balanced800 said...

Hey Chef John!

I'll be trying your traditional Louie, even though I have my Dad's version from his San Francisco Yacht Harbor Club days. His uses chili sauce and then adds about 1/8 tsp Coleman's mustard, a dash of hot sauce, and about a tablespoon of pickle relish...and no sour cream/creme fraiche or brown sugar. My version uses dill weed instead of relish (because I don't use relish for anything else).

Back in the day (late 70's) when I worked on Market Street, and had lunch at Chris's Seafood (about 2 blocks off) had the BEST crab/shrimp/or combo Louie, with nice fresh sourdough french bread. Yum! Hmmm...this is making me hungry; think I'll go make your version and do a combo crab/shrimp salad for lunch! :-)

balanced800 said...

Correction: I think it was called the Golden Gate Yacht Club (too long ago; I forget). Anyway it was at Yacht Harbor in the Marina.

Unknown said...

Instead of the "gun show" joke, I'd have gone with something along the "Louis Armstrong" line.

Bryan said...

How long do you boil those soft hard boiled eggs?

tamtam said...

I've never heard of a shrimp (or crab) Louie, but this looks pretty easy. Would already-cooked shrimp work for this dish, or does it have to be grilled first and then covered in the dressing?

Anonymous said...

This brought a tear to my eye. Delicious! :')

Thanks, Chef!

Razmig Yahniyan said...

well done Chef John
another great and simple recipe that will impress

you are the best !

your n# 1 fan
Razmik

Orenwolf said...

Chef, question for you.

You mentioned that the tails are left on for flavour. Would it make sense to use "quick-peel" (that is, deveined but shell on) shrimp instead for grilling? Or do you feel having shell-on shrimp would detract from the grilling process (I presume they'd need a minute or so per side longer to grill).

Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I made this salad for lunch today! It's an excellent brunch salad. I really enjoyed it. But the dressing does make a lot. You can halve it and it'll be still be more than enough.