Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Stracciatella Soup – For When You’re 'Tore Up From the Floor Up'

You hear stracciatella often referred to as, “Italian egg drop soup,” which is fine, but knowing the name actually means little, torn rags, or shreds, works so much better metaphorically. 

When you’ve been run ragged, stracciatella is always there for you. After a long, infuriating day at work, you want something fast, filling, and comforting; ideally made with ingredients you already have on hand. This is all that, and less.

Sure, you could order some unhealthy, and expensive take-out, but that’s just a shame spiral waiting to happen. Better to beat up a few eggs with some cheese, and boil up the last of that homemade chicken stock, you made using this video.

By the way, if you’re a normal person, and don’t have homemade broth in the freezer, this works perfectly well with a high-quality, packaged broth. As you eat this, hopefully with some nice crusty bread, imagine all those little “rags” floating in the bowl are all your torn-up problems, both real and imagined. They were there, and then they were gone. You just won, with soup. I hope you give this stracciatella a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes 2 large or 4 appetizer sized portions:
6 cups nice rich chicken broth, seasoned to taste
3 large eggs
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons semolina flour
1/2 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano (about 1/2 cup if grated on a microplane)
1/2 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese (about 1/2 cup if grated on a microplane)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch cayenne
pinch nutmeg
olive oil and pepper flakes to garnish

12 comments:

Steven said...

It's a Chef John bingo! Cayenne, freshly grated nutmeg, parmigiano reggiano, freakishly small wooden spoon. All it's missing is the old tappa tappa.

Matthew said...

Hi there Chef John,

A question on the flour, need it be semolina?

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am so sick today and as I clicked on the link to your site I thought, "I hope it's about a soup today!" And so it is!

Alex Mojcher said...

You're really taking it to the next level with the vibrato on the "Enjoy!", love it! I'm making this for my parents tomorrow!

Jessica said...

I came home tonight tired, cold, and hungry. This is delicious and quick... Perfect and comforting. Thank you!

Rosalie Lingo said...

I made this and it turned out really good! Savory and soothing, would be great for sick people. I switched out the parsley for basil and served it with some asiago crostini.

Leigh said...

UH-MAZE-ING! Simple,and delicious. I used all purpose flour...worked fine. I was shocked at how much flavor this soup was packing. Thank you!

Gemmagirl said...

Born in Italy, this is meraviglioso. David Lee, you are poetry in motion.

Mark said...

Hey, Chef John!

Been watching you for 5+ years at this point, and yet this is my first question for you. Ever consider doing a mise en place video? Sounds basic as hell, and it is. Yet many home chefs just eyeball ingredients. I'm talking mainly spices, not ready-to-go veggies or meat. Even crazier, right? When you add spices, it seems you've added them to ramekins beforehand. Is this true? Might be interesting to see the process. Can't believe that this is the topic of my first question to you, but hey. Hopefully, it won't be the last.

Thanks for teaching me how to cook these past 5 years. It's become one of my passions and it's treated me well.
Mark

Elaina said...

I just made this and I used a garlic and herb butter as my fat and it worked great. I still finished with olive oil (just a drop or two) because I love the flavor and I feel like Chef John would approve.
Anywho. This really is a slap dash recipe because I didn't have everything Chef did (I'm a broke college student) and I'm sure Italy would ban me from coming in but this is what I used and it was still tasty.
6 cups water
Beef bouillon cubes (again, I'm broke don't judge me)
1 Tbsp garlic and herb butter (melted in the broth)
2 cloves minced garlic
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 c grated mozzarella
1/4 c grated sharp cheddar (the only 2 cheeses in the house lol)
Pinch of Cayenne
Pinch of Chili flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste in both wet and "dry" ingredients, obvi.
Finished with Olive oil and a pinch of chives
I served it with some over-sized garlic croutons.
Like I said, a mess of a recipe but it tasted pretty good imho.

Pro-tip: definitely stir stir stir when you're pouring in the mixture!

Next time I'd like to use a chicken broth, add spinach, and maybe add a tiny bit of white wine to add some acidity to the mix - is that a horrible idea?

Stacy M said...

I'm the soup maker in my family when people are sick. And sadly, that includes making it for myself when I'm the one who's sick (Don't you just pity me now? LOL!). So anyway, after watching this video and wondering for quite awhile, I decided to try a pan of it for myself the last time I had a rotten cold. And I'm here to tell you, it was EXACTLY what I was hoping for! I followed the recipe exactly for the first time out. And I don't know what it is about this, but it felt so comforting, and nourishing for both body and soul. It has now joined the ranks of what I call my "back pocket recipes"... the ones that are so simple that I've memorized them, and can reach for them any time in a pinch. Wonderful! Thank you, Chef John :)

Unknown said...

Is it weird that your soothing voice helps me sleep at night? I seriously listen to your videos when I can't sleep and enjoy your food but for some reason it lulls me into a false sense of security and I'm able to sleep.

Thanks for everything cheese. Don't stop making awesomeness