Monday, April 28, 2014

Spicy Coconut & Calamari Salad, Formerly Know As Failed Squid Ceviche

There’s nothing quite as satisfying in the kitchen as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I was playing around with some squid ceviche preparations, and while it did “cook” in the acidic marinade, I really didn’t enjoy the texture. I actually hated it. 

I’m not sure if it needed more time, or more acid, but it wasn’t good. Not wanting to toss it, I decided to fry it up, and maybe hide it in some pasta, or something. I went with “or something,” and this cold, coconut-spiked salad was the result. I haven’t been this happy about a failed recipe in a long time.

Not only did it make a fantastic, sort of Thai-like salad, I can see this being quite versatile as well. It was very tasty hot, and would be great over rice with some of the cooked-down marinade. It would also be amazing over a big bowl of crunchy greens. Just don’t skip the toasted coconut, as it really does make the dish. I hope you give this delicious accident a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 Portions Spicy Coconut & Calamari Salad:
1 pound calamari, cleaned, cut into thin rings
1 small green Serrano pepper, minced
1 red Fresno pepper, sliced thin
2 tablespoons green onion
1 teaspoon palm sugar (aka coconut)
1 generous tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons Coconut milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil to cook calamari
- After calamari is marinated and cooked:
1 tsp Lime juice, or to taste
1 tbsp chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (unsweeted)

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Your my hero!

Unknown said...

Can I do this with catfish instead?

Cigarro said...

plastic lime juice is NOT fine for gin and tonic...
dude :-)

Annette_Marlow said...

By chance, can the peppers be substituted? Currently we reside in Hawaii and I haven't crossed any peppers other than jalapeños. Or some Hawaiian peppers that I haven't googled yet (giggle). I appreciate your time and your recipes, they've been great hits in our household.

Judy said...

I ate battered and fried calamari ONCE at a restaurant. They had the texture of rubber bands and I don't even recall if there was a flavor. Needless to say they were gross and they turned me off from ever trying squid again, even tho I have since been told that they were just cooked improperly. This is a pretty to look at dish tho! I might taste a bite if someone like you cooked it for me ;) Otherwise, never gonna happen.

Unknown said...

The plastic lime is not okay for your gin and tonic...

Chef John said...

Yes, i was obviously kidding about the gin and tonic!

Also, no catfish.

docreport said...

I have everything but the Limes, Peppers and Cilantro (can't get it here). Going to try with kind of hot Banana Peppers and Lemons, with your blessings Chef John :-)
Wanted to tell you that I went from a dude that hasn't touched anything beyond a microwave to someone who now loves to cook for himself!
All because of your how to reheat a slice of pizza video ;-)

Chef John said...

Thanks! Great to hear! Try some fresh basil or mint!

Chef John said...

Thanks! Great to hear! Try some fresh basil or mint!

Grams Pam said...

Recipe looks great Chef John, I love when you share your "fail" dishes with us, but even better when it becomes a "rescue"!

Dear docreport: If you're not married yet, you do realize that your comment just increased your "husband-desirability factor" by about a zillion, right? Put 'I love to cook' in your bio on one of those dating sites and see if I'm not right! ;-)

ps: Agree with Chef John, fresh basil and/or rosemary will change your life!

Grams Pam said...

ps: to Chef John *AFTER* watching the video.... You are lucky to have fish markets that sell squid in the way shown.

My born-in-Italy Grandfather-in-law took me to the Italian Market in Philly, where we bought "whole" squid and he showed me (16 times) how to clean it "from scratch", until I got it right on the last two times. Will never forget that cooking lesson! LOL!

Unknown said...

If I was a sperm whale, that recipe would look awesome!

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

YiKeS! Sorry Chef, but I aint's so darn sure 'bout this here concoction. For ya' see, me thinks 'dat calamari be but a sorry excuse to overcharge sum' hungry, unsuspectin' bar patron. And me also thinks 'dat calamari kinda-sorta be like conch. They both be like Wriggly chewing gum but wit' out the flavor. Any who's calamari should make for sum' good fish bait if sumones' were to ask me. Luv' ya' anywhoes'. Thanks! You're 'da best!

mekman said...

i cannot see this video, how do I access it? must I sign up for it?

Chef John said...

No, must be your browser or flash player.

mekman said...

WEIRD, I can watch this one but many older videos deny access and the cheesecake done with KRAFT (i think) i cannot view, any suggestions?

t_marie said...

Would marinating overnight make it too acidic or salty? Thank u!

Anders G said...

Hi john, as far as I've understood the enzymes in kiwi fruits can help you break down the rubbery texture that calamari/squid can get.

I haven't tried it myself, but if you dear to give the calamari ceviche another go, I can imagine that a 'pre-marinade' of the calamaris in kiwi (we are talking hours here i think), before adding the acid should do the trick.

Olga said...

Quick question - so, no salt at all? BTW, I just love your style and recipes!